Author Topic: Household ID Number  (Read 5150 times)

duane

Household ID Number
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
Note: The general information in this post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database; however, sql statements would need modification for the Windows App.

Greetings, All!

I had to get Rick to do a remote session with me in March or April to fix a problem.  He noticed that some of my households had been assigned ID numbers and asked what they were for.  Once I explained it to him, he asked me to post the idea on the forum for others to see.  This is the first chance I've had to get on the forum since then, so here goes!

We use the Household ID number to help us run our child security system.  When a clubber registers, the household (not the clubber) is issued an ID number.  We then make 2 security cards for that household using 2 x 3 1/2" business cards, equally-sized laminate, and a laminating machine.  We included the initials of our church followed by "Awana Club," the Awana logo, and John 3:16 on the front of the card (with the assigned number) and a statement on the back stating that, if the card was found, to please return it to... and included our church name and address.  The parent is instructed to keep one card and give the other to a 2nd person who would be most likely to pick up the child(ren) if they don't. 

We then create a "check-out" list for each club that includes only the first name of the clubber with their assigned household ID number.  The parent shows their ID card to the leader at the door, goes into the room and gets the child(ren), and the ID card is checked off when they leave the room together.  This alleviates the system where a child has to have something pinned to or hung on him (or her).  It also prevents the practice of someone calling the child's name out so that anyone standing in the hallway can hear.  It seems to work out pretty well.

As far as visitors go, we made several extra cards with VIS01, VIS02, etc. on them.  When a visitor checks in  with a parent, the parent receives a visitor ID card and the number is noted by the person checking him or her in.  When the parent comes to pick up the visitor, he or she just turns in the card.  If, and when, the visitor decides to register, a permanent Household ID is assigned.  If the visitor comes with another clubber (rides with them), that visitor is picked up with the Household ID of the person who brought them.  Some visitors always ride with a neighbor and so are permanently assigned to that persons household ID number.

Household ID numbers are assigned first alphabetically by last name and then numerically (A1-10, B 1-10, etc.).  Rick designed an SQL formula for me to be able to create the check-out lists more quickly and easily.  But he said that, if enough interest was shown in such a feature, he would be happy to add it as a report option.  (BTW, our club is large.  We averaged about 160 clubbers this past year.)

Secretary Diana
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:34:17 PM by Annette »
Commander Duane
Menchville Baptist Church
Newport News, VA

Ben

• Commander, East Madison Baptist Church
Re: Household ID Number
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:27 AM »
This sounds like a great idea, and I want to implement this process.

How did you go about initiating this, so that all the parents have the check-out cards and understand the process?

Also, could you share the SQL script that Rick gave out?

Thanks!

duane

Re: Household ID Number
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
We made up a letter that explained the new check-out process and sent it home to the parents.  We also included information about it in our Parent Handbook.  In addition, we told our parents at registration that the ID cards would be ready for pickup at the end of that club night.  We (my assistant secretary and I) then assigned the ID numbers and created the cards during the club night and distributed them to the appropriate clubs for the parents to pick up.  If there were multiple-aged clubbers in the family, the cards went to the youngest's club (as our Puggles and Cubbies end their night 15 minute before the rest of the club.)

Before I run the SQL for the check-out list, I find that it is helpful to sort the clubber list in the database by clubs.  Here is the SQL: select H.External_ID as "Household ID", P.First_Name, R.Club_Name from Household H, Person P, Role R where P.Member_Type = 'Clubber' and P.Household_ID = H.Household_ID and R.Person_ID = P.Person_ID and R.Club_Year = '2009-2010' and R.IsPrimary = True and H.External_ID <> '' and P.Status in ('Active', 'Visitor') Order by H.External_ID

If there is anything else I can do to assist you in this endeavor, just let me know.

Secretary Diana
Commander Duane
Menchville Baptist Church
Newport News, VA