Author Topic: Reassigning Team Colors  (Read 5258 times)

Mainah

Reassigning Team Colors
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
Note: This post applies specifically to the Legacy database. General discussion and some information may apply to the Windows App, but the report type options for the Achievement report are different.

I'd like to have the Sort By option of Highest to lowest # of points.

We've decided to shake up the team colors every 5 or 6 weeks.  This week I'm doing a random reassignment of every clubber, but as I was executing my grab and assign I realized that with a little effort I could put thought into it and at least spread the high achievers out evenly, etc and so on.  (I've fought the battle of even distribution of team members for years and have yet to come up with a consistently successful method so I was trying to throw caution to the wind and just let the chips fall where they may....but I just can't do it!!) If I could generate the Point List and Worksheet report with a highest to lowest points value and then do a Blue, Green, Red, Yellow pattern all the way down the list.  For today I will print it out and hunt and peck the highest to lowest to the same end.

Ok, duh, for now I just did a print to file from the report and exported it to Excel and sorted the points in descending order.  However, an option still would be nice to save this step!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:56:01 AM by Annette »
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Cornerstone Baptist Awana Club
Maine

Rick Leffler

Re: Reassigning Team Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
For your particular stated task... you might be able to use the Achievement Report, and select Report Type "2" then you can select the sorting option of  Points Earned, Highest to Lowest.

I do think there is a future enhancement lurking here in that we could come up with a "formula" of sorts to try and evenly divide up the clubbers to different Teams.  Let me know the details of your logic and I'll see what I can do in the future. It would be nice to click a button on the main Clubber List and have all the clubbers shuffled around to different teams based your expressed logic.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:44:41 PM by Annette »

Mainah

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »
Ooh.  I like this.  I spent a bit of time yesterday spreading out the points to create 4 equal, or close to equal, sets of points of first the girls in the club then the boys in the club.  I was in excel.  I did a sort of random b,g,r,y,y,r,g,b sequence all the way down the list.  Then sorted by b,g,r,y.  Then in the next column created a formula in four boxes that added all the points on the b, then g, then r and y.  Then I manually swapped out clubbers with differing points amounts until my total points per team (b,g,r,y) equaled a quarter of the total points of all the clubbers.  Ok, maybe I've lost you and I'll email you my excel sheet sometime.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:45:12 PM by Annette »
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »
If you do attempt this enhancement, here's something else to keep in mind...

Besides trying to have an even distribution of boys & girls and of points on each team, we also try to distribute the ages evenly in order for the games to be competitive.

Also, if you're really clever, perhaps you could come up with a way to allow some 'restrictions' (there's probably a better word) to the team generator.  Like, 'Abby Smith' and 'Jared Smith' should not be on the same team since they're siblings.  And 'Tommy Jones' and 'John Brown' want to stay on the same team, since John is Tommy's neighbor and doesn't know the other kids well.

Could be an interesting task -- Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:45:24 PM by Annette »
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO

Mainah

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
Sherri: I used to pay attention to the siblings on the same team thing, but I don't worry about that too much now.  That would be the least of my considerations, I guess when attempting to come up with a team generator.  If it was easy, fine, but a deal killer, then don't bother!  We are doing 4-6 week durations for the teams until we shuffle them again, so the sibling thing doesn't matter as much.  Sometimes it can get tricky with a big family!

Rick: The Achievement report, type #2 with Sparks chosen, then Points Earned high to low is good.  Too bad I just had to combine our Sparks Boys and Sparks Girls clubs into just Sparks for lack of female leaders, so with sparks I don't have a female sort.   T&T would work with this since we still have separate boys and girls clubs. That said, I still like the idea of a team generating enhancement.  Making the clubber points high to low list was the easiest part of the process!! :)

(Modified name of post to reflect discussion of team colors - akj)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:46:55 PM by Annette »
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine