Author Topic: Randomizing Team Color  (Read 5377 times)

aktaylor

Randomizing Team Color
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Note: This request applies to the Cloud database's Windows App as well as the Legacy database.

As our club has been getting setup for the new club i thought it would be great if in the database could, at my command, randomize the team colors so that i don't have to. I'm not sure if this could be possible, but if it is that would be great!

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:55:37 AM by Annette »
Anchorage Grace Church Awana Club Database Admin

Rick Leffler

Re: Randomizing Team Color
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
There is not presently a Team Color randomization feature.   

However, to lessen the burden of doing this manually, remember that you can use the main Clubber List grid, then apply a filter or grouping so you have a particular group of clubbers narrowed down, say just your Sparks Grade 1 for instance.  Then you can select multiple rows by holding down the Ctrl key and then clicking different (and non-contiguous) rows.  Once you have all the clubbers (rows) highlighted that you want on the same team, right click one of the highlighted rows and then from the popup menu click "Set Team Color > "  and select the color.

aktaylor

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
That works great, but would there be a way in the future to have the database do this by itself?

Rick Leffler

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »
Would you want it to be truly random, or should there be some kind of logic to be sure it is balanced in some way?  For example, randomize within a specified club, or within a specified selection of clubbers. And wouldn't you want to be sure the number of clubbers on a given team color was even?  A true randomization may result in 19 clubbers on the Red Team and one on the Yellow team with no one else in Blue or Green.   Another factor is points... if Team Colors are relevant for handbook time, you likely wouldn't want all the super-achievers to end up on the same team.   See where I'm headed here?    We can use this topic to discuss and once we've agreed on the functionality we can add this to the future enhancement list.

aktaylor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
Well I guess i should have been more specific :-[; I think that it would be great if it could evenly distribute the clubbers between the teams, and have the different clubs split up...so the database would split up the teams by club so the T&T club would have four teams: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. and Sparks would have four teams: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow and the same for all the other clubs that use the color feature.

Thanks for your time Rick,

David Taylor