Author Topic: Can I add historical information (or data for previous years)?  (Read 4491 times)

Annette

• Global Moderator
Can I add historical information (or data for previous years)?
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

Questions:

I just started using AW this year (about 6 weeks in). I have caught up on everything so far this year. How do I go back and add previous Club years so I can have a record of the attendance, books, etc.?

This is our 1st year using the software and we have some clubbers who are still working in books they began last year. Is there a way to go back and add a previous year's dates so that we can click on those dates to fill in the dates sections were completed in those books last year? With those dates missing the database doesn't recognize that the clubber has finished new Discoveries and deserves an award.

Answer:

Yes, "historical" books and section information can easily be added to the database.

Attendance Records: Actual session dates (aka calendar records) do not need to be created for prior years in order to track completed (historical) books and/or sections. DO NOT ever run the New Year Setup to create "old" prior year dates! While specific attendance records can't be tracked for prior years, if a clubber earned Attendance Awards in previous years, those may be added as New Award Records.

Assigning Past Handbooks: On the member form, go to the Handbooks tab. Set the Entry Mode to "History". Click the "Assign Handbook" button. Initially only the handbooks for the current club assignment will show. Under the "Display Options", select the 2nd or 3rd option to show additional books. Select the book to assign. (While in history mode, fees will not be created, nor inventory reduced for the handbook assignments.) Click Ok.

Completed Handbooks: If the book was already completed in a prior year, click the "Done" checkbox and enter a date for completion in the pop-up dialog box. Select a "Date Completed" prior to the current club year so those sections will NOT count in the current club year. Only book level awards will be triggered. When it as marked as "Received", the Date Received defaults to the completion date, but may be changed. 

Tip: Establish a set of common prior end-of-year dates to use as a standard. For example, choose 5/1/2016 as the official "last date of the 2015-2016 Club Year" and use it for all books completed in "15-16".

Partially Completed Handbooks: If the book was only partially completed in the previous year and those sections need to be kept OUT of the current club year, the same approach applies to assigning the handbook. However, don't mark the book as done. Instead, in the Handbook tab's toolbar, change the Entry Mode to "Speed", and set the "use date of:" (for example, to "5/1/2016" as explained in the tip above).  Now, scroll down and mark the last completed section as done. All prior sections will also be marked as "Done" on 5/1/2016. This speeds up entry of historical records.  [To record the actual dates of completion, use history mode and set the "use date of" selector to the needed date, mark the appropriate section/s, change the "use date of" selection and continue to mark sections. This is, of course, slower; but can be done.]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:53:44 AM by Annette »