Author Topic: DBSIAM error on new computer  (Read 5598 times)

lrndroberts

DBSIAM error on new computer
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

I just purchased a new computer.  I run Approved Workmen from a jump drive.  The program is working fine on the other computers we are using, but I am getting an error message on the new one.

The message reads:

The following error has prevented the application from running:  DBSIAM Engine Error #11013 Access denied to table or back up file 73160. ( or sometimes "file 115880")

The new computer is running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.  The program will not load but I tried to use the utilities open the database to REPAIR but it never gets that far.

Lori Roberts
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:42:19 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: DBSIAM error on new computer
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Puzzling. We should do a remote support session to investigate. Call me sometime when you are in front of the new PC with an internet connection and you have the USB drive. 

rmunn

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
This happened to me too, running Windows 7 on a new computer. Approved Workman worked fine when I installed the demo version, but when I copied my church's master database over to my computer I got this error message.

I eventually figured out what was happening. When I ran the copy of ApprovedWorkman.exe from my USB stick, I got a popup window saying "Your temp directory is C:\WINDOWS\TEMP" plus some other text I don't remember. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But when I searched the forum, I discovered that the "Access denied to table or back up file #####" error usually has to do with temp files, and I thought, "Hmm, Windows 7 has some restrictive permissions by default."

So I tried to look at the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder on my hard disk, and Windows popped up a message box. "You currently do not have permissions to access this folder. To PERMANENTLY give yourself permission to access this folder, click this button." I clicked the button, made no other changes, and suddenly Approved Workman was working just fine.

So if you're still having this problem, try opening the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory on your computer. Once Windows changes the permissions on that folder so that your user account is allowed to access it, ApprovedWorkman.exe (which is running with the permissions of your user account) should also be able to access it, and can store its temporary files where it needs to.

Rick Leffler

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
rmunn, You are correct. It was a permissions issue.  Thank you for sharing your experience, and welcome to the forum!