Author Topic: How to use multiple licenses  (Read 3795 times)

bobandcourt

How to use multiple licenses
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

We purchased the AWD for 3 users.  We are currently trying to get the program ready for our registration next week and were under the assumption that since we bought three licenses and have 3 secretaries we could use the program together, creating households and clubbers under them.  Right now we have all downloaded the program and I have gone in and added admin users for the three secretaries.  BUT, they can't access the info I have imputed on their end.  Is there a way to link the accounts so we don't ALL have to put the information in for each family, clubs, etc???
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:29:32 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: How to use multiple licenses
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
We purchased the AWD for 3 users.  We are currently trying to get the program ready for our registration next week and were under the assumption that since we bought three licenses and have 3 secretaries we could use the program together, creating households and clubbers under them.  Right now we have all downloaded the program and I have gone in and added admin users for the three secretaries.  BUT, they can't access the info I have imputed on their end.  Is there a way to link the accounts so we don't ALL have to put the information in for each family, clubs, etc???

I'm puzzled as to what your assumption was based on. It makes sense that if you have installed three separate instances of the database that you have three distinctly separate "buckets of data" so to speak. Don't do that. You do NOT want to create three separate databases. You want ONE Primary Database.

The good news is that you CAN get either networked, on non-networked multi-user functionality so all three of you can work together and not suffer redundant data-entry.

If you have a network, you can share the single instance of AWdb and each of you can log in and work simultaneously. And you will all see and share each other's work.  Note: You will want a wired (not wireless) network connection to ensure adequate performance.

If you do not have (or prefer not to use) a network, you can use the way cool Database Check-out/Check-in feature (under Admin > Database Utilities) that utilizes USB flash drives to get non-networked multi-user capabilities.

From THE Primary database you can create specialized Secondary databases on USB flash drives by checking out one or more clubs (or by checking out selected Households based on letters of the alphabet like A-K and L-Z).  The Primary database will replicate itself in a special way onto the USB flash drive. With a 3-user license, you can then give these USB flash drives to two secretaries (one secretary will keep working in the Primary database) and they can work independently and their work can later be merged back into the Primary database when the USB flash drives are checked back in. They should not have any AWdb software loaded on their computer as they will run the app directly from the files on the USB drive.

For more details on this consult the User Guide and look in the topic: Admin Module > Database Utilities > Check-out/Check-in.  You should have a copy of this document in your Approved Workman folder. Or you can see it here:
http://www.approvedworkman.com/awdb/help/index.html

On this forum you can also read about and watch a video demonstrating this feature:
https://www.approvedworkman.com/forum/index.php?topic=145.0.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:02:19 PM by Annette »

bobandcourt

Re: How to use multiple licenses
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:27:54 PM »
This is brand new to me.  I guess when our commander bought it she didn't realize that.  She told me to try getting it downloaded and then the other two would "link up" with what I have done.  Glad to hear it's doable, just not the way she assumed.  I'll work through it:)

Thanks!