Author Topic: Installing Client and server database  (Read 4132 times)

jhomman

Installing Client and server database
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

Hi Rick.  We are trying to deploy the software on our church server and run it on two clients.  I have all the database done on one of the clients.

I dont want to use the trial version to install one the other client and server.  Where do i get a clean copy of the program?  We bought two user licenses - one for each client.

Thanks.  And any useful tips on deploying the configuration would help too if you happen to have a PDF or something.

John Homman
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:32:21 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: Installing Client and server database
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
Here is a link to a topic on this forum named "Installing the database on a Local Area Network (LAN)"

https://www.approvedworkman.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0.

In your situation, just move your existing database to the server. Cut/Paste the Approved Workman folder from the client PC over to the Server.

Footnote: Just for the record and to distinguish between the current and a possible future version... I should clarify that AWdb is technically a "Desktop" database that can also be installed on a server and made accessible over a Local Area Network (LAN).  This configuration differs from a true "Client/Server" database wherein the server does most of the processing work and only sends results back to the workstation client. In a desktop database, all the processing is done on the client, and the server (as in this case) is merely acting as a fileserver.  As such, AWdb causes a lot of network traffic between the server and the workstation since a large volume of data moves back and forth from the server to the workstation, which is why right now AWdb works best on a wired LAN and a wireless network connection is usually too slow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:08:15 PM by Annette »