Author Topic: Capability to print a roster  (Read 6326 times)

Eric Berry

• Administrator
Capability to print a roster
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Note: This request applies to the Cloud database's Windows App as well as the Legacy database; however, the SQL statement given applies only to the Legacy database.

It would be nice if there was a way to just print a roster of the kids per club, per team name, per leader, per color, or primary book.  It should contain columns for club, team name, leader, and color.  And maybe grade, age, and primary book would be useful too.

There is currently several ways to approximate this report: printing a check-in sheet, but it does not allow leader name as a column and the team name column is often truncated if the team name is too large.  Plus the fact that the title of the prinout says Check-in Sheet confuses people.  The Clubber List approximates this too, but it contains lots of extra info, but doesn't include team color, team name, or book.  Setting up the Clubber Grid to have the data you want and printing the grid gives you the info you want, but if you want to create rosters for every leader's group when you have 50+ leaders, it can be very tedious and time consuming--plus the report is not nicely formatted.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:54:29 AM by Annette »

DavidCrow

Re: Capability to print a roster
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
It would be nice if there was a way to just print a roster of the kids per club, per team name, per leader, per color, or primary book.  It should contain columns for club, team name, leader, and color.  And maybe grade, age, and primary book would be useful too.

Have you tried just modifying the Clubber grid to contain only those columns that you are interested in?  That, then, can be printed.

Eric Berry

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
Yeah, that was my last sentence.

DavidCrow

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
My bad.  I did not read that post in its entirety.

Rick Leffler

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »
If none of the existing formal reports will give you what you want, the next best thing (until a formal report can be added to a future update) is to use the SQL Workbench.  

You can save and re-use an SQL statement each week.  The results grid can be easily sorted, grouped, filtered and printed (even to PDF) or exported to Excel.  And, you can add a Title right there using the "Report Title" field on the SQL Workbench screen. Further, when you click the Preview/Print button you can select Page Orientation and other features and even add headers and footers to the output.

Using the information in your first post in this topic I put together an SQL statement for you to get started with. Copy the following text and paste it into the SQL Workbench and run it, then apply a Filter to the Club Name column header to limit records to a specific club, and then if you want clubbers grouped by Leader and/or Team Name or Team Color then drag one or more of those column headers into the grouping area of the grid.  Once you've got things looking right, click the Preview/Print button in the toolbar.

-------------------------------------------------------

select P.Filing_Name "Clubber Name", P.Birth_Date "Birth Date", P.Grade, P.Gender, R.Club_Name "Club Name", R.Team_Name "Team Name", R.Team_Color "Team Color", P.Primary_Book "Primary Book", P.Leader_Name "Leader Name"
from Person P, Role R
where P.Person_ID = R.Person_ID and R.IsPrimary=True and R.Club_Year = '2012-2013' and P.Member_Type='Clubber' and P.Status='Active'
order by P.Filing_Name  

-------------------------------------------------------

Finally, remember to use the "Save SQL" button in the workbench's toolbar to save this sql statement for later use. Then, when you do need it in the future, use the "Open SQL" button to reload it.

Let me know if this helps and also after you've had time to tweak your report let me know exactly what you want in the form of a future formal club roster report and I'll add that to the list of future enhancements.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:30:43 AM by Rick Leffler »

Eric Berry

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
The SQL statement is a great.  It is exactly the data I need.  (This is part I did know how to create.) Now how do I get each grouping printed on its own page?

I want to print a separate roster for each leader with only his/her clubbers.  I could filter each leader individually and print his/her page, but since I have 62 leaders each with their own handbook group, its going to take me an hour to do that.

Eric Berry

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
OK, so it only took me 20 minutes, not an hour.  But that is still a lot of work.

Maybe an additional feature on the grid print feature could be an option to output a page break after each grouping.

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »
It would probably be quicker (until such a feature exists in AWdb) to go ahead and export all the grouped data in a single excel file, then just insert page breaks above each grouping. 
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO