Author Topic: Cubbie "Year 3"  (Read 4836 times)

Awana@CBVB

Cubbie "Year 3"
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
Note: This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

We have a Cubbie who has completed both years of the new curriculum but whose parents did not want her to move to Sparks just yet. She is going to repeat the material she did two years ago.  My question is how to record this years information in the system. We cannot assign her the same book (the first one is listed as already assigned).  Our thought was to just go in and uncheck all her previous sections completed in that book and recheck them as she finishes them.

I thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else has faced this issue before and how it has been handled.  We still want all the awards to trigger and for her to progress just like the other Cubbies this year.

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestion.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:23:30 AM by Annette »

roscom

• Awana@Gold Country Baptist Church
Re: Cubbie "Year 3"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
We had a similar issue in Sparks, where a child completed the HangGlider as a kindergartner and parents chose to keep him in kindergarten again this year.

We chose to delete the entrance booklet and HangGlider book that were completed last year, and then reassign the entrance booklet and the HangGlider book for this year.

With Cubbies, you could do something similar: 
1. Delete Apple Acres yr 1 completed in their first year
2. Delete Apple Acres yr 2 completed in their second year (after writing down date last section was completed for last year) - Note: This will become yr 1
3. Add Apple Acres yr 1 and mark it "done" in history mode, using the date from #2.
4. Add Apple Acres yr 2 and use for the current year.
5. Delete the handbook completed in the first year and then reassign it for this year. 

This is how I would choose to do it in order to have the entrance booklets sequences correctly for yr 1 & 2.  I would treat the first year this child did Cubbies as non-existent to put them on track.

Hope this helps.
Maureen Roscorla
Administrator
Awana@Gold Country Baptist Church

DebLiveOak

• now that's what I call multi-tasking
    • FBC Children's Ministry
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
I'm not LOVING this idea.  I also have deleted handbooks but because I love having accurate data, deleting a handbook from a child's record seems to not be my favorite way to handle.  I would love to see an option for me to add a "Honeycomb 2" or "Appleseed 2" to my curriculum.  At this time, we still can't add curriculum.  This happens often enough in enough clubs that it should be added to the AW database.  Now that T&T is doing specific books for specific years, it's possible that it's going to begin happening in T&T when a kid is held back.
Director of Preschool & Children's Ministries
First Baptist Church
Live Oak, Florida

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
Roscom is correct in how to handle this situation.  You need to delete the Honeycomb handbook and then reassign it.  I understand the frustration that deleting the book removes your historical details.  When you assign the book again, you can add a note that says the book has been completed once already - and include dates or reasons if this important to you.

At this time, we are not planning to add the option to assign the same book a second time (with the exception of entrance books that clubbers are expected to complete more than once). It introduces a lot of complexity in the award triggering. In the few conversations I've had with secretaries about this issue, they usually end up making decisions on an individual basis as to how the awards will be handled - especially for those books that may earn cumulative book awards. When situations require a case-by-case evaluation, it's difficult to automate that in a way that fits everyone's situation.