Author Topic: lost .exe file while updating  (Read 5734 times)

hhac

lost .exe file while updating
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

I was working on version 4009 and just updated today to 4117 then 4120.  When I went to open the AW log in screen I saw in the bottom line that it was the correct version.  Before I could log in a red Norton virus screen came on saying (?) there was a risk with the Approved Workman exe file then it flashed a message that the risk had been removed.

My log in screen was gone.  I tried to open it again but can't find it - apparently the AW exe file is gone.  I am working off of a flash drive.  I do have a backup on my church computer (the 4009 version).  I cannot update at church since there is only dial up for internet - too slow.  So I always update at home and then copy it on the church computer. 

I can copy my files from church onto the flash drive and try again. But before I do I wanted to check and see if there is some  problem in downloading this update?  I checked after I updated to 4117 - logged in and all seemed okay. 

Thanks for any help you can give.
Becky
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:41:58 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: lost .exe file while updating
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »
There shouldn't be any problem with the update, hundreds have downloaded and applied it successfully.  I suspect your Norton AV has quarantined the EXE.  Try opening Norton and teaching it that the "ApprovedWorkman.exe" file is safe.   

I have become aware of three instances where an anti-virus program thought there may be a risk with the EXE because the utility that I use to shrink the executable file is also sometimes used by the bad guys when creating malware.  In each of the cases, telling the AV software to trust the ApprovedWorkman.exe file was sufficient.

To quickly resolve this, be sure that your anti-virus software is up to date. Then check its quarantine and try to get the AV program to release/restore the ApprovedWorkman.exe file.  If you can't, or can't find anywhere to convince the AV software to do so, then, you can get a replacement copy of the EXE file from the folder where you've been creating your AWdb backups.  You should see a file named something like  "CopyOfApprovedWorkman4117.exe" (note the version may differ).  All you have to do is copy/paste this file into your live Approved Workman folder and then rename it to simply "ApprovedWorkman.exe".   Naturally if you see another warning from your AV software, tell it that the file is trusted.

If you don't have the "CopyOfApprovedWorkman####.exe" file such as in your case where you didn't get a chance to run a backup using the newest version since you weren't even able to log in, therefore I will need to send you a fresh copy of the EXE.  Please call or email me at Support@approvedworkman.com and I'll do so.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 02:21:53 PM by Annette »

hhac

Re: lost .exe file while updating
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
I was able to go to Norton and restore the .exe file. 

Thanks so much.