Author Topic: primary vs. current handbook  (Read 6556 times)

Laura W

primary vs. current handbook
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »
Note: This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

I am new to using AW and I'm not sure what the difference is between primary and current handbooks.  I understand what current is, but I'm not sure what primary means.  Could someone explain it to me? 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:44:41 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: primary vs. current handbook
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
A handbook marked as "Current" indicates that the clubber is actively working in that book.  All handbooks marked as "Current" will show up on the main Check-in List grid so that it's easy to mark completed sections.  Once clubbers have finished say a Start Zone entrance booklet for example, you can right-click that book name on the Check-in List screen's handbook section and change it to not current so it will be removed from the list.  The Check-in and Progress Report Worksheet, and Current Handbook Status reports for example will also list all books marked as "Current".

A handbook marked as "Primary" is the one that will appear in the Main Clubber List since it can only display one book name. 

Laura W

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:04 PM »
So, it sounds like whenever a book is checked as current it is the primary book too.  Is there ever a time when primary and current would be checked on different books?  I can't think of a situation like that, but maybe I'm not thinking of something. Or should current and primary always be checked on the same book at all times.

Laura W

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
After looking at the situation more, I see that you can only select one book as primary.  However, you can select more than one book as current.  So, my question is, when would you have a case where there would be more than one book as current?

Rick Leffler

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
...when would you have a case where there would be more than one book as current?

Trek and Journey clubbers often have a Main Study and an Elective.   Younger clubbers may have a Workbook they are doing for Extra Credit along with their primary book. 

Perhaps other club secretaries/commanders could chime in here and offer their insight to when they may have a given clubber with more than one "current" book.

naclark

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
I don't know if you are still looking for answers, but I just read this.  I have a few clubbers who are working on old books, for an example one in T&T is still working on his Climber book, I have that listed as current with his T&T book so when he has time to do the green jewels he can get them marked off easily.  I also have a Journey student who wasn't at a church that offered Trek.  She really wants to earn her Citation so she is working on her Trek books as well as her Journey ones.  If I take them off curent I have to go into the handbook portion of their record instead of the check in screen.  This way they will also get points to spend at the store for extra work done.

Hope this helps,

Nicole

Lisa Wilder

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »
This happens fairly often toward the end of the year when a clubber has completed most of the sections except, perhaps, the ones where you are required to bring an offering for 4 weeks in a row (Sparks) or bring a friend, etc. We never want to hold a clubber back so we assign the next book (which becomes the primary book) but keep both books current so we don't forget the sections that still have to be completed in the old book

Plus, if you print off the detail sheets for "Current Handbook Status" (which we use in club every week for listeners to mark which sections are completed), you get a sheet for all books that are marked current.