Author Topic: Adding External ID  (Read 4983 times)

jgibson

Adding External ID
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »
Note: This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

In order to simplify the attendance process, I would like to add the identifying # from our main church database to the records in the AW database. I would like these numbers to show up beside the names on the check-in report. Is this possible?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:45:51 AM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: Adding External ID
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »
There IS an External ID field for both the Person and Household records that is intended to allow you to enter IDs from your main church database so you can keep the people and households in sync so to speak. You can make these External ID fields visible on the Member form by going to Admin > Options > Members and then checking the box "Show the External ID fields on the Member Form".

[Note: in the Windows app, the Options tab is under Admin > System Settings. akj]

However, the Check-in and Progress Report Worksheet report is not one that displays these values. (no one has asked for them on this report before). Is this the report you're referring to?   As always, I will certainly consider any request for a future enhancement.  Please do let me know exactly what reports/screens you need these External IDs to appear on.   It would also help to understand how you'd be using this.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:53:03 AM by Annette »

jgibson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »
I found the external ID field and that is exactly what I was looking for. It would help me greatly in checking attendance if the External ID could appear next to the child's name on the Check-In progress report. We keep attendance in the AW database and our own church database, Shelby Systems. That system allows us to mark attendance by entering those ID numbers in one single field instead of going class by class and child by child to mark attendance. It would make the attendance processing much faster if that number was on the Check-In roster.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:17:57 PM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »
I assume it is the PERSON's External ID value (and not the Household's) that you want to have as an optional column for the Check-in and Progress Report Worksheet. I will log this request as a future enhancement.

I'm wondering if we can go even further with this...   you say you have to enter the IDs into Shelby, what if you could: 

a)  simply copy the string of External IDs from AW for all clubbers who were "Present"?  If Shelby has a field where you can type in all the IDs, maybe you could then "paste" them in?  Would they need to be separated by a comma for example?  Wouldn't that be cool?    or

b) what if AW created a simple ASCII file containing the External IDs of those persons who were present. Can Shelby import those values so you don't have to type them in?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:18:03 PM by Annette »

jgibson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
that sounds like it would be really helpful. i'm checking with the database person to see what possibilities exist. thanks so much!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:18:08 PM by Annette »