Author Topic: "Attendance jewels go where?"  (Read 6520 times)

Mainah

"Attendance jewels go where?"
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
This is what some of our clubbers said yesterday when they got them, but didn't have crowns of wings yet since they haven't completed any red or green jewels yet!  Yikes.  Why didn't I think of that?  Is that something that can come up on the award list when a first time jewel that is blue is awarded or is that just too complex?  My substitute secretaries fortunately worked club past years so knew what to do, but it was a scramble!  At least the T&T stickers go in their books!
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Cornerstone Baptist Awana Club
Maine

Mainah

Re: "Attendance jewels go where?"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
Doing some more work today it seems that crowns are only triggered from a red jewel being completed.  I've only compared about a dozen clubbers awards, but I think that is how it is set up.  That works fine for the new materials where the Red is the only first jewel in the book, (with the occasional exception of course of the blue as I've already detailed in my starting post.)  For the Hiker and Climber books, however, the crown award should be able to be triggered from red or green and blue if possible.  Or, again, is that just too complex to program?
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine

Commander Auds

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
We hand out the crown/wings when the Rank patch is earned. If they don't have that earned by time the blue jewel is earned then we still give it to them but they just don't have a place to put it.

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what they said to me, too!  :)

We haven't handed out attendance awards in several years because leaders just didn't keep accurate track of it.  But now AWdb makes it easy, so I decided to go back to doing it.  I was so proud of myself for handing out the awards, that it never even dawned on me that a lot of kids wouldn't have their wings yet to put the blue jewel in!   :P

I did a search on the forum to see how other people handled the situation & found this post.  So, do most people just go ahead and hand out the wings early?  Or are the wings particularly meant to be saved until after a Red or Green Jewel is earned?

I was thinking perhaps I should have just held onto the blue jewel and put it in the wings when their first Red or Green one was earned, but maybe it makes more sense to just go ahead and give them wings whenever ANY jewel is earned.  Hmm...

(I'm pretty sure having the kids take the jewel home without having wings to put it in will result in it just getting lost.)
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO

Mainah

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »
Wow, I forgot that I even posted it this topic last year!

This year we handed out the wings to those who didn't have them yet.  We made a mark on their clubber cards indicating that we'd done so.  Otherwise we wouldn't know who still needed wings (because they didn't earn and attendance award,) when they earned their first red or green.

So, AW isn't accurate, unless I manually go in and issue them their award which I haven't done, but we have a paper trail to keep us accurate.
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »
Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and give wings to anyone who gets a first jewel, no matter what color.

I think your idea of adding a trigger within AW to award wings for any 1st jewel, no matter what the color, is a great one.  Does that idea need to specifically get added to the Enhancements forum category for Rick to act on it, or does just having it mentioned within Q&A good enough?
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO

Mainah

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure Rick keeps up on all the posts.  It can't hurt to list it in enhancements, however, since that would make it official!  It still isn't a guarantee that he will be able to pull it off, but it's worth a shot!
Diane
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine

dave4him

• Global Moderator
  • I love this job!
    • First Baptist Church Awana Clubs
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
According to the Awana Sparks Director role book, page 29, Achievement Wings are awarded when a Sparkie earns their first jewel of any color.

I see no need to trigger the Wing because awarding a Jewel automatically requires a Wing if there isn't one already awarded.

UPDATE: I should have checked this before I posted...  ::)
Rick has The Hangglider Wing awarded along with the Red Jewel award for completing the Red Jewel sections. I guess a review may be needed after all. See Admin> Cirric> Books> click to open Sparks Hangglider, then select Section Groups and Awards.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:55:27 PM by dave4him »
David Barnes
Awana Commander
First Baptist Church
Branford, FL
N.Fl. Awana Ministry Team

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
Maybe I misunderstood you, "I see no reason to trigger a Wing" -- but I'd really like to see the Wings show up on the Award page when they need to be given to a clubber -- not only when the 1st Red Jewel is awarded.  Otherwise, I will have to manually enter the award for the clubber who gets wings with a blue jewel so that I know he already has wings when he gets his first red award (and a Wing is triggered).

This will also help prevent me from forgetting to give wings when I'm just going down the award list, pulling them quickly. (we hand out awards on the same night they earn them)
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO

dave4him

• Global Moderator
  • I love this job!
    • First Baptist Church Awana Clubs
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
Ok ladies...I believe old Dave has got it now.
The Wings Award does show up in the Awards list, but only when 1st Red jewel is earned. And you can't add a Wing award in the Attendance setup screen along with the Blue jewel because the child could get a new Wing every qtr. :D But I am with you Sherri on trying to get it to post on the Award grid and print out in  Awards Reports. These are really useful in our club too. My leaders are really happy with them.
I believe Rick could write some code that awards the Wing, either with the Club Attendance Blue jewel or Book award Red jewel, whichever occurs first.

(Another related topic)
I like to know how you use the Award Reports, mainly updating the AWdb later. I finally have my leaders in the habit of marking through Awards given out and returning the Report sheets to me. Then I just simply highlight the given awards from the Award grid, rt. click and mark as 'Received'... Works well.
David Barnes
Awana Commander
First Baptist Church
Branford, FL
N.Fl. Awana Ministry Team

Sherri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
Hi Rick, I was wondering what you thought about the idea of having the first blue jewel trigger a Wings award just as the Red & Green jewels do now.  I got bit again tonight with giving a clubber a blue jewel, but he had to come ask for wings to put it in.  :(

And even if I manually enter that I've awarded a child Wings for a blue jewel, AWdb will still award Wings for the first red or green.

Is it possible to get this fix into an update?  Do you want me to write it up in a new Enhancement thread?  (or it could be argued that it's a bug, too)

Thanks!
Sherri Meadows
Monument, CO

Rick Leffler

• Administrator
    • Approved Workman
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
The way it is set up now (at least in my records, but of course you can change this) is that the HangGlider Pilot Wings award is triggered when Red Jewel 1 is earned. Which I thought was the first reasonable jewel they would have earned, and thus it is at that point they would need the wings.  I thought that sections had to be completed in order as they are shown in the book, thus a Red Jewel would get earned before a Green Jewel.  I never imagined a clubber could come to club long enough to earn an attendance award and yet still not have earned at least their first red jewel.  (Clearly by this discussion I imagined wrong.)

Thinking out loud...    ???   As you can tell by examining the "Section Groups and Awards" tab of any generic handbook screen (especially the HangGlider in this case), the award triggers are table-driven and not hard-coded. This allows users the flexibility (to some extent) to add/change/remove the award triggers without waiting for programming changes.  It's often easier to maintain the software too as the future brings new curriculum and awards specific to a particular club or book.  Thus I'm a litttle reluctant to take the quick and easy way out here by addressing this just with custom code.  It seems the best long-term solution is to come up with a way to enhance the Attendance Award Procedure to examine a clubber's current primary handbook and then check for the existence of the required "Award Holder" item which would be either a Crown or Wings specific to their current book. If that Award item is not found at the time the Attendance Award is earned, go ahead and create that Award too.  I'd also need to be sure that when the existing triggering of the Crown/Wings takes place that they are not duplicated.  The bottom line here is that this may take longer than you think to get implemented, but I will add it to my list!  :)
Rick at Leffler Systems
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Mainah

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
I'm sure the others would agree that we've brought this up just in case it is an easy fix.  Now that we all understand each other, and you say it isn't that easy, I get it!!  No problem.  The instances of this happening may not be as common an issue as some other things that need to be more toward the top of your list.    Especially with the Climber book going out, and the issue of Red or Green first pretty much going away!  That only leaves the blue-jewel-before-red dilemma!  Believe me, I too would think that one red jewel, at the very least, would be earned before a blue, but reality has proven otherwise. 

I think our best bet with the blue jewel, is to run the attendance report, as we do, then pull up the Awards tab and filter it down to see who all has not received wings yet and award them with the blue jewel.  With our size club, just 35 Sparks, that shouldn't be too hard.  Larger clubs might make this harder, though.  The next issue does remain that when a clubber finally gets their first red jewel, we must check to see if they have their wings yet or not.  In that instance, we have marked their physical tracking card with a W next to the first red jewel, but then we have to remember if that means they have wings already or still need them!!!
Diane
Saved at Awana in 1975!
Office Director
Maine

jkliem

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
Just curious, 7 years later, whether this has become at all easier to fix since it's till a problem we contend with. Thanks!  :)

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »
It has not become easier to fix - which is probably why it hasn't made it into an update yet. When our users keep telling us it is a problem, it brings our attention back around to it though.  We will take another look at this and see what we can do.

[Update: 4/12/19 - this was implemented in 5.7.0.1.  The update log shows: "The system will now automatically create the appropriate Sparky Wing badge award if needed when a red, green, or blue jewel is earned."]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:40:25 PM by Annette »