Community Contributions > Q&A

Divorced parents = child has 2 homes = need to email both parents

(1/1)

DebLiveOak:
Note: This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

I've read all the posts I could find regarding multiple emails but didn't see this asked or answered. We have multiple children that spend 50% of their time with each parent. Both parents want to receive communications from us. I've not found an EASY way to do this. Selecting the primary email means it only goes to that parent. If they aren't "friendly" then they don't share with the other parent.   :-\
If there's an SQL workbench for this, I would LOVE to have it.

Annette:
First, I assume you are using the Gather E-mail addresses and Textible Phone Numbers tool.  If you are using the selection by Household Status, you are correct that it will only return the primary email. However, if you use the specific selection criteria (Club Name, Member Type, etc), it will find any linked emails to someone meeting the criteria. So, the key will be how you set up your contact records.  I tested this for one family, so I think it will get you what you want. Here's the example:

Say James is a Sparks clubber in this 50-50 situation and you need to be sure the email goes to both parents.  In the Member Form, open the contact record.  In the row that has Mom's email, set the Member Link field to James.  Also in the row that has Dad's email address, set the Member Link field to James.  When you gather email addresses for Sparks clubbers, it will find any email address linked to a Sparks clubber, in this case James, so both email addresses will be returned.

If there are multiple children in the same household in the same situation, say Jonah is a T&T clubber in the same family also 50-50, you would need another set of records with Mom's email linked to Jonah and Dad's email linked to Jonah so when you gather addresses for T&T clubbers it will also get both addresses.

The process removes duplicate email addresses, so if you run it for "All Clubs" and "Clubber" or "Sparks and T&T" and "Clubber", you should only get Mom's address once and Dad's address once even though they are linked to two clubbers.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

DebLiveOak:
That did work. For some reason, I assumed it would only pull the "primary" email and never ran it for the purpose of verifying that assumption. But I just ran it and saw both parents in the email box. And I also verified that if I run a clubber report for their Awana leader it will also show both phone numbers and email addresses. Now to just figure out the mailing address.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version