Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /homepages/12/d802028692/htdocs/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 3863
Points and awards for LITs

Author Topic: Points and awards for LITs  (Read 2443 times)

Eric Berry

Points and awards for LITs
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
LIT earn points and attendance stickers/jewels when they serve in T&T or Sparks clubs. 

I have gotten burned a couple of times when make up new teams based on points because the LITs show up in the points list (because they earn points by their attendance as an LIT) and I forget to take the LITs out of the list.  I try to balance each team with the same number of points and I end up putting them on a team, which throws off my point balance.

Rick Leffler

• Administrator
    • Approved Workman
Re: Points and awards for LITs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
Are you using the main Clubber List grid to do your analysis and Team Assignment?  If so, you could apply a filter on the LIT column to keep them out of the list while you do your work.
Rick at Leffler Systems
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Eric Berry

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
No, I am running an achievement report and an award report filtered by attendance awards.

I should mention that Journey meets on Sundays.  So my LITs are Clubbers in the Journey club on Sundays and LITs in T&TBoys/T&TGirls on Wednesdays with both marked as the primary.

Rick Leffler

• Administrator
    • Approved Workman
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
I don't really see this as a defect because the report is listing achievement points for those persons attending and doing work in the respective club.  

{Update: v. 5.3.1.2 made improvements to several LIT related issues.  Reports better handle LIT members as leaders instead of clubbers.  LIT members also now have service awards created and do not earn attendance awards in the club they serve in.} akj

However, I can appreciate your need for a solution to perform your stated task of making changes to balance a team based on points.  Let's go back to an empty drawing board and see if we can come up with the perfect solution. In your opinion, what would that be?  Also consider that I've recently had request to randomize Team Colors. It would be nice to come up with a solution with enough flexibility to meet all needs for Team Balancing and Team Color reassignments.  Thanks.

{Update: this is still listed as a requested enhancement.} akj

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:35:03 PM by Annette »
Rick at Leffler Systems
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Eric Berry

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
Except that no other leader shows up in the acheivement report, only LITs.  And why would an LIT be receiving a T&T attendance award?

A generate new team colors function would be great! 

Here is the algorithm that I use:
- I run a list of the total points earned by each clubber for the last quarter, grouped by team name and by gender (although other options could be by club, or by grade, or maybe by leader). 
- Then I take the top four people on the list and put them on red, blue, green, yellow.
- Then I take the bottom four people on the list and put them on red, blue, green, yellow.
- Repeat until done.
- Total the number of points for each team.
- Then I take the teams with the highest and lowest totals and subtract the higher number from the lower number and divide by 2 (=x).
- The I find someone on the higher total team that has x more points than someone on the lower total team and I switch them. (If I can't find two people like that, I get as close as I can.)  Now the two teams should have the same number of points, or at least be much closer to each other.
- I keep repeating that until all team totals are within a 5-10 point range.
- Then I let the directors make changes to the list to keep certain kids away from each other or to put others together.

I've also done the algorithm by number of sections instead of points.  Our previous way of calculating points was too skewed toward being on the winning team.  So we were having clubbers with a lot of points because they were always on the winning team, but who didn't do many sections.  We've redone the way we do points now, so we've removed that skew.