Author Topic: Donations Vs Ledger  (Read 4198 times)

FBCEL_JDG

Donations Vs Ledger
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could help me with a simpler way of what I'm currently doing. The majority of our clubbers are bused in from low income areas which means that they are not able to afford the basic needs of the club. We have been blessed with a congregation that has been financially supporting all of our clubbers so that no one has to pay for their Awana supplies.

In order to keep track of all donations I have been using the Donations Tab. However, I do not use the Ledger Tab seeing as how none of our clubbers pay for their supplies. What I have been doing is using the Donations Tab as my Ledger, when I need to place an order I enter a New Donation with a Negative Input to show that money being used. However in doing this I do not have a STARTING/ENDING BALANCE from year to year. I went in and entered all monies Coming/Going out of my budget from the club year 2013-2014. When I show the ALL years in Donations I get the Proper Balance on my budget, however when I select the club year 2014-2015, I do not get a correct balance.

Is there any easier way to keep track of the monies coming and going out of my club?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:28:31 AM by Annette »

Annette

• Global Moderator
Re: Donations Vs Ledger
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
There seems to be some differences in thought about the purpose of the Donations Tab. The way it is designed, a donation must be connected to a Member (a Clubber or a Leader). If an amount is entered in the Offering column on the Check-In grid to indicate a clubber or leader gave money on a particular club night, this creates a Donation Record. Therefore, the main design for the Donations Module is to track money that clubbers or leaders give as designated offerings (i.e., Missions, Adopt-a-Club).

Custome funds can also be created, such as a "Scholarship Fund". However, there is not currently a member type of "Sponsor" or "Donor" to track specific donors. There is also not a way to 'spend' money from the Donations List (except by a negative donation as you did).

Have you created a Member record for everyone who gives money? Or, a generic "Awana Donor" listed as a "Leader" that donations are credited to? There is a solution along this line that came from previous discussions, here: https://www.approvedworkman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1224.0; and here: https://www.approvedworkman.com/forum/index.php?topic=997.0.

Please consider those suggestions to see if they are helpful. Depending on exactly how details are tracked, we can also help you explore ways to use the Fund and Note fields as well as the Waived option and Note field of the Ledger. There is probably a different solution that would meet the basic requirements. For more specific assistance, send an email to support (at) approvedworkman (dot) com.

We also welcome additional suggestions from anyone about how we can enhance AWdb to track money given for Scholarships/Sponsorships.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:59:48 PM by Annette »