Author Topic: Backing up files from a USB drive to differnt PC  (Read 4606 times)

Risa

Backing up files from a USB drive to differnt PC
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

I am running our database on an USB flash drive. When backing up I have been backing up to the flash drive. I realize that if I lost the USB then I would be in big trouble so I tried to back it up to my home PC (just in case). It is telling me that I cannot back up the USB to the C drive? I was wondering if there was something I could do just in case I lost the USB or it became corrupted that would be able to retrieve later on??

...I backed up to the C drive to approved workman and it backs up but when I try to open it, it won't.?? Saying doesn't know how to open. I am really confused! I just want it backed up so that if lost, I can retrieve.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:05:00 PM by Annette »

Rick Leffler

Re: Backing up files from a USB drive to differnt PC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
Don't write the backup file to the root of the C: drive, instead create a "AWdb Backups" folder or select a folder under your Documents folder.  Once the backup file is created, you can't just open it like you can say a Word doc or a picture. It can only be restored using the approvedworkman.exe file.   

Please review the User Guide for details about the backup and restore utility.
There's also a video available here: https://www.approvedworkman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1193.0.

{added link for backup/restore video 2/17/22 akj}
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:01:03 PM by Annette »