Author Topic: Running Approved workman on Linux  (Read 10405 times)

youdontknowme

Running Approved workman on Linux
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

I did it. It actually was very easy. There is more testing needed but I was able to run it and update records etc..
I was running fedora core 4 on a hand built amd platform.
step 1 from the command prompt yum install wine
then you will need to answer y a few times it will connect to the internet and download and install all the packages needed for wine.
step 2 winecfg
this will create the directories needed to run the windows programs give it some time I got an error but it eventually finished.
once the gui comes up it should be configured so you could exit or you can test it. just exit.
step 3 this is were it gets alittle tricky you basiclly do the same thing that Rick does with portable drives the difference is that linux does not use drive letters. So for simplicity I thought I would copy the contents of the USB drive to the virtual home directory of the wine windows user. ie for me it was /home/dad/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/dad (notice .wine is a hidden directory)
so then you should see the Approved Workman directory.
step 4 winecfg
step 5 from the gui on the application tab add the approved workman.exe you will need to drill all the way down to the exe. then you should see it in applications then exit the gui.
step 6 wine "c:\\windows\profiles\dad\Approved Workman\ApprovedWorkman.exe" just something to remember if you try to cd to this directory via linix you need to use / but for windows you need \ and in linux if you have spaces in file names or directory names you need to escape them with \
step 7 you then will get an error looking for the database data but wait a second and you will get a windows browser window that will let you browse to the database file. Just make sure you go to the same place that you copied it to /home/dad/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/dad/Approved Workman...
then it should all work. Just know I have not checked everything out yet such as I had no printer configured in linux so I had printer errors on start up. I also would reccomend that the usb drive be formated fat32 before you start anything with this because it is more recognized across platforms such as mac and linux and windows. There is probly a way to set a softlink to the usb drive so you do not need to move data around it will just take alittle time to see were it is looking by default. 8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:27:59 PM by Annette »

Cmdr Scott

Re: Running Approved workman on Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
I was able to get it running as well, but had to use winetricks with my current version of Ubuntu:

winetricks gdiplus
winetricks mdac28
winetricks vb6run
winetricks vcrun2005

Worked really nicely, though.  Have you thought about posting to winehq.com?

Rick Leffler

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
Scott, I believe you said if I switched to an .ini file instead of using the Registry this could be even easier? 

I am completely ignorant of what it would take to make it SIMPLE for folks using a distro of Linux to get AW to install and run smoothly but I am very interested in participating in this.   

I've had a few folks ask about a Mac version.  If we get this to easily run under Linux, does that mean anything toward a Mac solution?

Cmdr Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »
Rick,

Yes, the ini file would be much more simple, especially for portability reasons.  For one, running on a flash drive would be a whole lot easier than depending on registry entries on all the computers.

In order to run ApprovedWorkmen on MAC OS X, the same WinE would run.  Wine stands for "Windows Emulator"  See http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

-Scott

raymondajames

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
Are there any updates for Linux? I am running Ubuntu 13.04 and have done the winetricks, but no luck.

raymondajames

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »
I got it. There was a problem because it could not find fontsub.dll. I added that into windows\system and it now comes up.

Rick Leffler

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »
Very interesting. I've always wanted to try Linux.

So do I understand correctly that you are successfully running AWdb under Ubuntu 13.04 now?  cool.