Author Topic: Customize Award Sets  (Read 5837 times)

Secretary Sue

Customize Award Sets
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
Note: This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database.

How can I customize the Award Sets and create my own Default Award Sets and assign them to specific books?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:22:55 AM by Annette »

Annette

• Global Moderator
Re: Customize Award Sets
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:35:05 PM »
The general answer is that you can't create award sets. You can create and customize specific awards for a section, a group of sections, or a book.  I'm interested in what you are trying to do.

Are you needing to do this with the new T&T books?  If so, you can choose from three award sets for those books: Emblems (the UA colored chevrons), UC1 or UC2 award sets. The default is set by opening the generic handbook record (in the Legacy database: under Admin > Curriculum; in the Windows App: under Admin > System Settings > Curriculum) and going to the Cumulative Section Awards tab. The default there determines what award set goes with a book when it is assigned. It will NOT have an impact on books already assigned.

For books already assigned, open the Member Record and go to the Handbook tab. The 'award set' can be changed in the grid for a specific book as needed. That determines which set of awards that clubber receives for that book.

You can also customize the specific awards in a set in the grid of the Cumulative Section Awards tab, so if you give the UC awards in a different order, those can be changed.

If you really do want your own set of awards to trigger for something else, I suggest that you send an email to support with details (the book, the award/s to use, how they are earned) and we'll go from there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:03:39 AM by Annette »

Secretary Sue

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
Thanks so much Annette! I just realized that I never responded to your post. You answered my question!

I think I may have created another problem ..... Last week I had a couple of Club Secretaries ask about award triggering. I'm afraid that I may have messed-up something when I was "poking around" before I posted my question.

Can you please tell me how I should go about checking to make sure I have set-up the award triggering correctly for our T&T books? Here's what should be happening:
Grace in Action and Evidence of Grace - Chevron Emblems (order - red/blue/green/yellow)
Agents of Grace - UC 2 Emblems (in our order)
UC Book Two - UC 1 Emblems (in our order)
I also need to check on the silver & gold patches for the extra credit sections.

Thanks!
~Sue

tapper1

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:42:06 PM »
I have been trying to assign Chevron Emblems to UC 1 and 2 books for T & T.  I followed the instructions for handbooks already assigned and and the only options are emblems or bones.

Terry Printz
Terry Printz
Commander
Christ Community Church
Zion Il

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Terry - the UA (Chevron emblems) are not available as an award set for the UC 1 and 2 books.  If they are working in UC 1 or 2, wouldn't they have already completed the UA books and earned the UA awards?

We added the award set options to the new T&T books to handle the transition between the older books and the newer ones.  We had multiple people report that they had 5th and 6th graders working in the new books, but it was triggering the UA awards that they had already earned and they needed to earn the UC awards.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:46:32 PM by Annette »

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Sue - go to Admin > Curriculum (for the Legacy database; in the Windows App go to Admin > System Settings > Curriculum) and open the generic handbook record, then follow details for each book:

1. Grace in Action and Evidence of Grace: go to the Cumulative Section Awards tab. Make sure the Default Award Set shows "Emblems" (so any new books assigned will use the correct award set).  Then, in the grid, filter the Award Set column to just show "Emblems".  Check the Award Name to be sure they are in the order that you want to trigger.

2. Agents of Grace: go to the Cumulative Section Awards tab. Make sure the Default Award Set shows "UC2 Emblems".  Filter the Award Set column to show "UC2 Emblems" and check the order, change as needed.

3. UC Book 2: go to the Section Groups and Awards tab. The award set is just "Emblems".  You can set them to whatever combination/order you want. Basically, put the ones you want to go with UC Book 1 in the Section Groups and Awards grid for UC Book 1 and the ones you want to go with UC Book 2 in the section Groups and Awards grid for UC Book 2. (Note, it will trigger based on these lists for everyone, but when the award dialog pops up, you can select a different award at that time. There is an admin setting (Admin > Options > Misc. see the Award Message Dialog section) that allows you to "List all awards from both UC books".

4. Silver and Gold patches for all of the books are handled on the Section Groups and Awards tabs of each book record.  I think those are pretty much the same for all of the award sets, so I wouldn't expect you need to do anything with those.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:05:34 AM by Annette »

tapper1

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »
I found a work around fr this one - now a new problem,
Wingrunner essentials is a new book this year - and is spitting out wings and some jewels differently for different clubbers.  I attempt to go into the  book details and the fields are blank.

Any insight would be appreciated.  we have had to revert to manually assigning awards

Terry Printz
Terry Printz
Commander
Christ Community Church
Zion Il

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
There has been some question on our part about what Awana means when they say ""Kids using the Essentials will be ineligible for the traditional Awana awards."  Does that mean any awards (like the jewels) or just the book awards and cumulative awards?  The uncertainty resulted in us handling the Essentials books differently.  We have the jewels listed for the HangGlider Essentials book, but not for the WingRunner Essentials. We should at least be consistent! Clarification on this point would help us. (I assume that since you are asking that the jewels should trigger.)

If the Section Groups and Awards tab for WR Essentials has no records in the grid, no awards would be triggering, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is giving awards differently for different clubbers for this book.  Here's the solution:

Open the book record for the HangGlider Essentials.  Also open the book record for the WingRunner Essentials. Go to the Section Groups and Awards tabs. Use the list in the HG book to enter the awards in the WR book.

tapper1

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »
We consulted an AWANA missionary last year and got feedback that for SPARKS you can do whatever you want but for T & T Essential books do not result in Book awards, but patches are allowed.  So Jewels should (can) be given for essential books.  We also give book awards for SPARKS essentials completions as well.

Thank you for your reply, it would seem award sets should mimic in Sparks Hangglidder = Wingrunner - essentials or not, and be consistent.

Terry Printz
Terry Printz
Commander
Christ Community Church
Zion Il

Annette

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. We will set up the awards to trigger for WR Essentials in the next update.

In the meantime, anyone that needs these should add them manually as described above.

tapper1

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks for your reply - I was able to copy the image of the book as well from the AWANA website

It was pretty easy to do with your help.
Terry Printz
Commander
Christ Community Church
Zion Il