Author Topic: Can I import data from another system into AWdb?  (Read 9370 times)

Annette

• Global Moderator
Can I import data from another system into AWdb?
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
This post is applicable in the Cloud database's Windows App as well as in the Legacy database. NOTE: the Cloud Database's Web App now has an Online Registration module that may be a better option than importing registration data from another source.

Questions:

Can I import a CSV file or something with all of the clubbers contact info instead of having to do it one by one initially?  This would make the initial set up much faster.

We use an on-line registration process. Can I get that data into AWdb?

Answer:

Yes. There is a Data Import procedure that allows data to be imported for two scenarios:

1. Initial Data Load - populate an empty database (in the Legacy database: after purging the sample data and running the New Year Setup; in the Windows App: after intial setup).

2. Online Registration - update existing records with a data file from an online registration website. Each person record is compared with existing records. If a match is found (based on First Name + Last Name + Birthdate), then the existing record is updated. New records are added when no match is found.

File Types:
Data may be imported from an "Excel 97-2003 workbook (.xls)" file format, a .CSV, or a .TXT file.

Limitations:
The type of data that may be imported is limited. For example, personal information, such as name and contact information (phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and parent names), birthdate, grade, gender, allergies, etc. may be imported, but not attendance and handbook data.

Instructions:
In the Legacy database, go to Admin > Database Utilities and select the Data Import Button.
In the Windows App, go to the Tools menu and select Data Import.

Follow the steps for each tab:

Introduction - detailed notes; Please read these carefully!
Step 1 - select the source file
Step 2 - map the fields
Step 3 - select the scenario and options
Step 4 - run the procedure
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 01:12:10 PM by Annette »