Author Topic: WebApp Suggestion  (Read 2609 times)

Awana@CBVB

WebApp Suggestion
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »
I love the idea of 24/7 access for the data available in the database and want to get more of my leaders involved in accessing the data but as we know, the more access points, the more possibility of data breach.  I have two suggestions which you may already be working on:

1) Automatic signout: i haven't played with the web app enough to know what the time delay is for automatically signing out folks but I am hoping that is already built in so that in case someone signs in (on a public computer for example) and walks away, there is not a potential for access to the data by unauthorized folks. On a personal mobile device, one would hope that everyone is using a passlock or security measure on the lock screen but that is not always the case. It would be nice to have this feature in place at all times. Possibly allowing some options for time delay but it should automatically sign out at some point.

2) More limited user profiles: one thing you have recently introduced is the kiosk user profile. I would like to see a "leader" profile that limits access to only the clubbers that are assigned to that leader. I know on the web app it is possible to filter the access so only what you want to see is shown but I think in light of my first point, it would be great if the system limited the access for Leader Joe to only his 5-6 clubbers.  There is no need for him to access the entire database.  I think the current "User" profile could be modified to "Secretary" which will allow them full access to all information (they often need the access and can then cover for other secretaries if needed).  A "Director" profile could also be made that would allow for access to the clubbers that are in their club. 

I know not all clubs have the same needs so there would need to be options to customize based on needs but this would give greater control over accessing the data and make it on an as needed basis. With hundreds of families in our system, I just want to protect their data.

Love to hear your thoughts...

roscom

• Awana@Gold Country Baptist Church
Re: WebApp Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:39:55 PM »
I love the idea of 24/7 access for the data available in the database and want to get more of my leaders involved in accessing the data but as we know, the more access points, the more possibility of data breach.  I have two suggestions which you may already be working on:

1) Automatic signout: i haven't played with the web app enough to know what the time delay is for automatically signing out folks but I am hoping that is already built in so that in case someone signs in (on a public computer for example) and walks away, there is not a potential for access to the data by unauthorized folks. On a personal mobile device, one would hope that everyone is using a passlock or security measure on the lock screen but that is not always the case. It would be nice to have this feature in place at all times. Possibly allowing some options for time delay but it should automatically sign out at some point.

2) More limited user profiles: one thing you have recently introduced is the kiosk user profile. I would like to see a "leader" profile that limits access to only the clubbers that are assigned to that leader. I know on the web app it is possible to filter the access so only what you want to see is shown but I think in light of my first point, it would be great if the system limited the access for Leader Joe to only his 5-6 clubbers.  There is no need for him to access the entire database.  I think the current "User" profile could be modified to "Secretary" which will allow them full access to all information (they often need the access and can then cover for other secretaries if needed).  A "Director" profile could also be made that would allow for access to the clubbers that are in their club. 

I know not all clubs have the same needs so there would need to be options to customize based on needs but this would give greater control over accessing the data and make it on an as needed basis. With hundreds of families in our system, I just want to protect their data.

Love to hear your thoughts...

These are excellent ideas and mimic our desires for restricted access to data and security of data as well.  While this is our first year with AWdb, we anticipate moving to the web version in our 2nd year if we deem ourselves and the web version ready to do so.
Maureen Roscorla
Administrator
Awana@Gold Country Baptist Church

Annette

• Global Moderator
Re: WebApp Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »
We are working on both of these as enhancements.

Thanks for the details on the user profiles.  It helps to have specific examples of how you would like things to work for your club.

We have had multiple requests for greater ability to control access/permission for users.  The next build of the web app will include additional features for managing these.

Update: With enhancements during the past club year, you can set the amount of inactive time you would like before users are logged out automatically.  At this time, the setting only applies to the remote client. (In the remote client, go to Admin > Options > Misc.)  Web browser users will be logged out automatically after 2 hours.  We have an enhancement listed to give users more control of this also.

More options for controlling access were also added. The user permissions now allow setting filters that limit access to only items allowed by the filter, so you can limit a leader's access to only clubbers assigned to the leader.  For additional information, please visit our web support page: https://lefflersystems.freshdesk.com/support/home.

[6/25/18 akj]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:31:09 PM by Annette »