Author Topic: Recommendation on Windows Home Server network  (Read 5938 times)

Mr Jay

• Hi! I'm Bob, I'm a Tomato, and I'm Here to Help!
Recommendation on Windows Home Server network
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Note: This post only applies to the Legacy database!

Hi Rick,

Still loving the program.  We recommend it to every club we come in contact with!

We just had the configuration of our Awana network at church changed.  We now have Windows Home Server networking our two PC's (Awana1 and Awana2) together. 

The AWDb (3 user version) is loaded on Awana1.  Awana2  accesses it through the Home Server to Awana1.  And, we can access the database remotely by internet PC connection to the Home Server.  Unfortunately, if someone is on Awana1, remote access to AWDb is denied.

Could we improve the situation if I moved the AWDb to the "Shared Folder" on the Windows Home Server?

I'm also trying to access the AWDb on my Acer (Android) Tablet via a browser internet connection to the Windows Home Server.  I can logon to the Home Server and see the "Shared Folder", but cannot access the computer with the database.  Since the AWDb would be executing on the Windows PC, I'm hoping to be able to display and manipulate the program from my tablet.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks, Jay.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:35:27 AM by Annette »
The Always Awesome,

Mr. Jay.
Silver Certified Commander
Dunns Creek Baptist Church, Palatka, FL.

Reaching the World, One Child at a Time.

Rick Leffler

Re: Recommendation on Windows Home Server network
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
I recommend that you move the Approved Workman folder from the Awana1 PC over to a shared folder on the server. On each of the Awana PCs do not have any instances of AWdb, but instead have just a desktop shortcut that points to the ApprovedWorkman.exe file located in the \\Server\Approved Workman  folder.

Please let us know how it goes, especially with the tablet access.  By the way, the next build will allow you to resize the rows in the grids taller so you can more easily select a row or perform a "click" of a checkbox through a tap on the tablet.

Mr Jay

• Hi! I'm Bob, I'm a Tomato, and I'm Here to Help!
Re: Recommendation on Windows Home Server network
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
I'll give it a try and let you know.

Jay.
The Always Awesome,

Mr. Jay.
Silver Certified Commander
Dunns Creek Baptist Church, Palatka, FL.

Reaching the World, One Child at a Time.